It is often desirable to export a portion of an Inkscape illustration to a vector file for further editing or to re-use it on a web page. Sadly, Inkscape can only export an entire page at a time; it doesn't allow for exporting a selection or a group to anything but a PNG (bitmap).
To work around this limitation and create a vector image by cherry-picking a part of the original drawing, you need to do the following:
- Select the object(s) you want to export.
- Copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C).
- Open a new drawing window (Ctrl+N).
- Paste the clipboard on the new page (Ctrl+V).
- Hit Shift+Ctrl+D to open the document properties panel.
- Open the Resize page to content... tab and hit the resize page to drawing or selection button
- Save the document (Shift+Ctrl+S) as an SVG file. Select a suitable format:
- Inkscape SVG for further editing, or
- Optimized SVG for use on a web page.